Fire Prevention Tips For Parents Bergen County NJ
It’s not pleasant to think or talk about, but it is a sad truth that children under the age of 5 are two times as likely to die in a fire than anyone else. Each year thousands of young children are killed in fires. To add to the tragedy even further, many of these fires could have been prevented. At Bogle Agency Insurance we feel it is important to pass along these fire prevention tips for parents to our NJ clients.
The leading cause of fire-related deaths for young children under the age of five are matches and lighters. Toddlers, and their tendency to play with these items are unfortunately responsible for a large amount of firesi the US and even in Bergen County, NJ. Toddlers have a natural curiosity about fire and they have a surprising ability to competently strike matches and start lighters.
What You Can Do To Prevent Fires In Your NJ Home:
- Store all matches, lighters and and fire starters out of reach and out of sight of children. If possible lock them up in a cabinet. This goes for child-resistant items as well. They are not truly childproof.
- Teach small children to tell you whenever they find a match or a lighter, and not to touch it
- Explain to children that lighters and matches are for adults only.
- Never play with matches or lighters in front of children. Teach them that they are a tool only. Remember children will imitate you!
- Teach children good fire safety behaviors in the home regularly and stay consistent. Keep children at least 3 feet away from the stove when cooking, for example.
- Never overload outlets in your home.
- Have your heating systems checked regularly.
It is not something anyone ever wants to think about, but if you take some time and follow these fire prevention tips for parents, you can rest assured knowing that you have taken every step to make your home a safe and happy place.